However that has now changed, and I am embracing them as a way to get a great dose of nutrition every morning and ensure I have anВ alkalizingВ start to my day. When you use an abundance of green leafy vegetables such as kale, swiss chard or spinach you give your body nutrients such as:
- Vitamin A which helps to buildВ connectiveВ tissue, keep your immune system functioning well and to keep your skin healthy.
- Sulfur, which balances out PH levels, helps to fight infections as well as reducing inflammation.
- Vitamin K, an essential nutrient for helping your blood to clot properly, maintaining healthy bones and is said to aid in preventing calcification of your arteries.
- Trace minerals, these are essential for us to remain healthy and unfortunately the majority of people on a western diet do not get the minerals they need.
I just load up the blender with spinach, apple, lemon, water, chia seeds, and a little bit of lucuma or maca.
These are not the only reasons that I believe green smoothies are a great addition to our diets.
Reasons for Having Green Smoothies.
1. They are easy for our bodies' to digest as the blending process rupture the cell membrane which then makes the nutrients easier for our bodies to assimilate.
2. They are a complete food because they contain fiber, which juices don't.
3.They contain a high amount of chlorophyll, aВ molecule of which is said to closely resemble a molecule of human blood. Dr. Ann Wigmore says, вЂњconsuming chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusionвЂќ.
4. They are a great food to use if you are detoxing or just as part of a raw food diet.
5. They are a good way to get children to eat their greens, as the sweetness of the fruit helps to encourage younger children to drink a green smoothie.
6. They are easier to make then juices (although I still highly recommend juicing) with less clear up time and less mess.
В Getting Started With Green Smoothies.
You will definitely need a good blender, and be sure to use clean filtered water (depending on which region you live in, you may want to check if you need to filter your water).
When you start most people recommend starting with a ratio 50/50 percent of fruits to green leafy veggies, as you may find it bitter initially. The aim is to then start to increase the amount of greens that you have inВ comparison to the volume of fruit. in order to get the most nutritional value from your smoothie.
Wherever possible we recommend toВ choose organic produceВ when making a smoothie, as this will reduce your intake of toxins which will enable your body to work moreВ efficiently.
Many experts on nutrition also recommend rotating the green leafy vegetables you use in your smoothies as too much of one type can cause a build up of certain types of alkaloids which can cause problems.
Method (serves 2)
- Cut up two apples
- Cut up two handfuls of leafy greens
- Take the skin of a lemon, leaving as much of the white pith on as possible, then cut up into small pieces.
- Cut up half an avocado.
- Place all ingredients in blender with two cups of water.
- Add chia seeds or any powders you desire, such as lucuma or maca.
- Blend until smooth consistency and serve!!!!